This has been a week full of surprises.
I started writing more as a form of therapy than anything else. I needed a chance to express how I really feel about things from politics, to birth to religion and thought I’d explore my writing abilities. Having never written before, except for school, I wasn’t sure if I could write anything that would be interesting to anyone but me, however the response from everyone has been overwhelming and very gratifying.
My Time Magazine posts, seem to have jump started my readership in a way I really never expected, and then to top it all off, a fellow blogger, Jessica Vealitzek, nominated me for the “Kreativ Blogger Award”. Thank you Jessica! Jessica has a wonderful blog which I follow called True Stories (http://jessicavealitzek.com/), where she uses real life stories to illustrate important truths about life. I love it every time I see a new post in my e-mail.
So what is the Kreativ Blogger Award? Well, it’s an unofficial blogger to blogger award, which is a validation that someone out there thinks your writing is entertaining and worthwhile, a great chance to learn some personal facts about the blogger, and chance for one blogger to share their favorite blogs with their readers.
The rules are as follows:
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Share 7 interesting things about yourself.
- Share 7 of your favorite blogs for others to check out.
I like it. Gratitude first. Thank you again Jessica!
Seven interesting things about me……hmmm……that’s a little bit harder, but here goes:
- My husband and I met when we were 14, started dating at 16 and are about to celebrate our 18th anniversary. They don’t make many couples like us anymore.
- At the ripe old age of (just about to turn) 40, I have had my mid-life crisis and am going back to graduate school to become a Certified Nurse Midwife (The opportunity for blogging material from this new venture is pretty exciting.)
- I was tricked into vegetarianism by reading Skinny Bitch 4 years ago. I sat sobbing on the couch, reading the book and vowed to never eat meat again…..but occasionally I succumb to the temptation of bacon.
- When asked what makes me interesting, my son said, “The fact that you’re not scared to talk to us about adult things like sex and stuff.”…….I must take a moment here to give myself a little pat on the back.
- The closest I think I’ve ever come to dying was on a flight from Philadelphia to Dallas which should never have taken off due to bad weather. We then had mechanical trouble, an aborted landing attempt back in Philly, followed by a shaky voiced captain telling us we were going to divert to Pittsburg, all the while not telling us what the mechanical problem was. The hour and a half from Philly to Pittsburg was the longest of my life and half the plane burst into tears when we landed. (I still love to fly though.)
- I am not as domestic as I’d like to be as evidenced by my piles of pictures that are not in scrapbooks yet, my crocheted blanket that I have been working on for 4 years, cross stitches I’ve left incomplete for 16 years and the fact that I have a cleaning service avery other week. I’d rather be reading.
- I can’t wait to travel the globe. I have a deep yearning to visit as many places on earth as possible before I die. I have always felt that if I need to give an accounting of my life before God, He/She won’t ask me about my sins but why I didn’t explore this great big beautiful world when I had the chance.
My seven nominations for the Kreativ Blogger Award……much easier:
- Trust Life Today: Learn to trust every experience that comes your way and be open to what the universe is trying to teach you about Truth. http://trustlifetoday.com/
- Source of Inspiration: Gorgeous photography and poetry http://patcegan.wordpress.com/
- Snarky In the Suburbs: A must read for all of us trudging through suburbia, complete with crazy neighbors, militant HOAs and out of control PTA parents. http://snarkyinthesuburbs.com/
- The Grome Soapbox: The atheist point of view. Always gives me a lot to ponder. http://gromesoapbox.com
- Stray Thoughts: Absolutely fantastic writing by a 3rd year medical student. Lots of great ethical dilemmas and insight into the process of becoming a doctor. http://littleredmed.wordpress.com/
- Raising My Rainbow: A mom reflects on raising her gender non-conforming son. http://raisingmyrainbow.com/
- Mommy Said a Swear Word: Great articles on motherhood and family by a very talented writer. The name alone made me love her! http://mommysaidaswearword.wordpress.com/
- Meet: Kreativ Me (jessicavealitzek.com)